Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Some Family History

I love looking through old family obituaries.

Letitia (below) was my Great, Great Grandmother. From the few remaining records of her life that I’ve read, she is described as being a devoted Christian, wife and mother. Her demise occurred as a result of a Kerosene lamp that burst, causing her burns that became life threatening.

When I first became interested in my family genealogy, I traced down where Letitia was buried. It turns out she and her husband Joseph are buried in a little, mostly forgotten cemetery by the name of “The Denbo Cemetery” in Catoosa, Ok, not far from where I live. Obviously the cemetery is a family cemetery because of its name, Denbo. Many other Denbo’s are also buried there, along with some other family names like Daugherty.

My Dad and I took the opportunity to visit the cemetery about five years ago. It was quite a piece of history for us. As I stood there looking at her stone, I imagined how different her world must have been than my own.

She was the daughter-in-law of John and Katherine Gunter, founders of Guntersville, Alabama.




As you can probably tell from her photograph, she is a great deal Indian -- Cherokee to be exact.
I have the full hand-written account of the accident that took her life. It’s a real tearjerker and when I can find it I may post it.

I copied word for word the below obituary from the original April 17th, 1906, Catoosa newspaper article. Catoosa was then in Indian Territory.





Obituary
Mrs. Letitia Victoria Denbo, wife of J.A. Denbo, aged 63 years, died at her home in this city, Monday night about nine o' clock. Thursday April 5th, Mrs. Denbo was severely burned by the explosion of a lamp, at the time, though her burns were severe, all had hopes of her recovery, but the nervous shock was too great, and though she battled bravely for her life, Friday evening her spirit freed itself from its earthly tenement, winged its flight to "that house not made with hands in the heavens". Letitia Victoria Keys was born near Tahlequah, Indian Territory, January third Eighteen hundred forty three, and was married to J. A. Denbo in 1871. She was the mother of seven children, six of whom, Mesdames, John McKeehan, Milton Thompson, Thomas Daugherty, Robert, Oce, and John Denbo, survive.
The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the family residence by her Pastor, Rev. Haymes, and her remains laid to rest in the family Cemetery, near the home where she had spent so many years.
Mrs. Denbo was a genial, warm hearted Christian woman, doing all the good that she possibly could without show or ostentation. She was charitable to all, and comforted those in sickness and distress. Her one motto in life was "to do to others as she wished to be done by" May she rest in peace.



Later, if I decide to, I may post my web page with more information about the Gunter’s on it and how I’m related.

2 comments:

Saur♥Kraut said...

What an interesting post! I love reading about the past (as you know, it's always related to the future). My family was also amazing and fascinating. I hope you can post more about this!

Bryan said...

Thanks, both of you.

Yes, genealogies are interesting and fun to research.