Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Old 8mm Home Movies

I was over at my in-laws recently for Christmas when low and behold they pull out the old home movies (when Media Player comes up, hit Alt+3 to enlarge the screen) of my wife and her siblings when they were just youngsters.

The original films were the old 8 mm style movies, which my in-laws had transferred over to VHS several years back. This was before the advent of DVD's.

So while I'm sitting there watching these old movies, I'm thinking about how neat it would be to have them on DVD, since it is now the premier technology. I don't have a DVD burner yet and was trying to think who I knew that might have the equipment to do this.

Then it hit me.

Our camcorder records on a mini DVD, so I decided to point it at the T.V. while the old movies were playing and just start recording. What the heck, I thought.

As you can see it didn't turn out all that bad at all. And next time I'll use a tripod which will eliminate the movement and help square up the T.V. screen with the camcorder lens.

The little boy in the close-up in the beginning of the film is my brother-in-law holding up his prize...a worm to scare the girls with! :)

The narration you hear is mostly from my mother and father-in-law, with some from my wife and her sister.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love old home movies!!!! We have some 8mm too! You;re quite clever with your idea on how to transfer them!

Bryan said...

Yeah, I like watching them too. My folks didn't have a gadget like that when we were growing up so it's nice to see movies of my wife's family.