Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Insurrection!

On my way to work every morning I walk by a day-care center owned by the hospital I work for. Today when I walked by the playground at the day-care, I noticed toys strewn everywhere outside the fence.

Hmm, I thought, wonder what that's all about?

Then a word entered my mind that made me smile: Insurrection! I'm guessing it was a way for the little ones to express a sense of rebellion and or frustration at being held captive for several hours each day against their will and away from their parents.

The smile lingered for a while longer, but then I became a bit sad because I realized people who are not family are basically raising those precious little ones, Monday through Friday. Granted, most of the day-care workers are great gals who love children (I know several of them) and the kids are fortunate for that fact, but as I think most people will attest to, there is no substitute for being raised by your own parents.

Now I have nothing against day-cares or the parents who drop off their children at them, had it not been for my wife's mother we might have gone down that same road, though I always swore that would never happen if Grandma weren't available. It's just that in today's society I don't think it's always really necessary for both parents to work. I think we as nation are more materialistic than we realize, and if we would learn to be content with less, our children would be the better for it. Once we think we need to have more to be happy, we start sliding down a slippery slope; one not easily recovered from once started down.

In the end only faith, obedience to and love for God will matter. All else will eventually turn to dust, especially our possessions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A subject close to my heart. My mom watched my son while I worked. It is possible to raise a kid on once income - I am proof. But I had to make a lot of sacrifices. Every single one was worth it to be able to be home with him much more than most working single moms.

Bryan said...

Good for you, Barbara. You're a great mom.

Anonymous said...

AMEN...I recently (18 mos ago) quite a 6 figure job to carefor my first grandchild, and am now expecting another. There is no greater job than caring for a child and raising them in the family of God.....Cleasa

Bryan said...

Good for you, Cleasa! I applaud you.

And it was great to see you again at the class reunion after all these years!