Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Children's Hospital

Some pictures I took yesterday of construction going on where I work. The structure is going to be a new children's hospital. My fascination though is mostly with the crane, as you can tell.
Click on the pics to enlarge.


Here's a pic of the counterweight used to balance the crane. Believe it or not, the crane is not even bolted to the ground; it's free-standing, relying solely on the forces of weight and counterweight to keep it from toppling to the ground.
The hospital.
In this pic, I caught the operator outside his crane walking on the boom making a cell phone call.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of when my son was younger and we would park near a construction site and watch for hours (ok, he'd watch I'd read a book).

Dude! do I hear dueling banjos in the background? Get out of here! It's been forever since i heard that.

Great crane pics Brian (it must be a guy thing....)

Bryan said...

Thanks, Barb. Yes, pictures of cranes and construction sites is a guy thing. :)