Friday, April 06, 2007

The Burger Brothers


These two brothers were good childhood friends of my brother and I and we would never have guessed that they would have been capable of the acts they committed. Naturally my brother and I were shocked and saddened when we first heard the story on the news back in '89. We spent a lot of time together as kids and did all the things boys normally do: Ride bikes, camp, fish, hunt, tell spooky stories, play hide-and-seek and so forth and so on. There was no obvious indication of the deviant behavior that led them both to the prison terms they now serve.

We lost contact with the Burger brothers after 1977; we just grew apart as childhood friends sometimes do and didn't hear anymore about them until they were in the news.

You just never know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in college, I did a term paper on Serial Killers. It was very interesting to learn that in all those cases, neighbors and friends had no clue as to who they [serial killer] were.

So, I believe you when you say that basically, this was a complete surprise to you and your family. It is entirely possible, and it happens more often than not.

Bryan said...

Yes, that is so often the case.