Friday, March 23, 2007

Hunting for arrowheads


I'm thinking about taking up a new hobby: Hunting for arrowheads.

Not far from where I live is a hill called "The Claremore Mound", where an Osage Indian village used to be. A Great Granddad of mine used to live at the base of the Mound, and right after it rained he would climb up the hill and look around for arrowheads that had been newly exposed by the rains. As a child I remember seeing hundreds of the arrowheads he had collected over the years and I always wanted to give it a try myself someday.

The thought of finding artifacts of civilizations long-extinct has always intrigued me. When I held some of my Granddad's arrowheads in my hand, I would remember wondering what the person's life might have been like who made it and how different life must have been in general: What hardships did the individual face on a daily basis, and what joys and sorrows had they experienced during the course of his or her life? I would also wonder how old the arrowheads really were.

Interesting food for thought.

A friend and I were talking about hunting for arrowheads the other day and he knows a guy who paid cash for a new Toyota pick-up, which was funded solely by the sale of his arrowheads to collectors. Evidently, if documented accurately, hunting for arrowheads can also be aprofitable endeavor.

I don't know if I'll have the time to do this anytime soon, but when I do get the chance I'll post more about it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, that will be an interesting and intriguing hobby. When you find the first one......WATCH OUT!!! It's going to be addicting. Soon 10 won't be enough...100 won't be enough, and so on. LOL!!

I remember when I got my metal detector, I went all over my backyard that first day......only found 1.76 in change.....but it became addicting.

Good luck, and I hope you find hundreds.

Anonymous said...

I love arrowheads! I have a collection but none that I actually found myself. Maybe I should post photos of my rock and shell collections some day....

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey I also live near Claremore Mound. I've always, since childhood, wanted to climb that, have a look about the base etc..but I thought it was always on privately owned land, so I usually drove on by. Too shy to ask people onto thier property..lol. It's getting more difficult to find "public land" you can arrowhead on these days, and I heard from another hunter, that Kansas is now 98% privately owned property. They just make thier way to the Rivers and wade the banks, but hey they find plenty! Apparently just north of Spiro Mounds..away from the OU Archeologicial dig sites etc...
Anyway, GOOD LUCK HUNTING. IT really is ADDICTIVE. I metal detect too, so I know exactly what the other person was talking about!! Now back to online research, for more on arrowheads and native peoples lands and Tribal owned lands in all of Okla. There's so many!!!
Have FUN, and FIND SOMETHING SOON! Good Luck!

Unknown said...

Heading out to Arrowhead hunt this weekend. First time out there. Any pointers? Or laws I need to know about out there?