Saturday, March 17, 2007

Denbo Cemetery

I paid a visit to the Denbo Cemetery today, a very old, mostly-forgotten family cemetery in Catoosa, OK, where a lot of my ancestors are buried. I didn't photograph this stone when Dad and I were there four years ago. I think the child may have been Mattie (Denbo) Daughertery's daughter, since its name is also Mattie and the stone sits right next to Mattie's stone.

The date is hard to read in the large photograph but I when I blew it up I realized the child was only seven months old when she died, not an uncommon thing to happen back then, unfortunately. :(

Mattie was a Great, Great, Aunt of mine.


4 comments:

Jenn said...

How interesting to find those ancestors... sad too.. but thought provoking.

Bryan said...

Yep, it's a sleepy little cemetery with lots of history.

Unknown said...

I just buried my brother at the Denbo Cemetery this morning. Randall Lee Williams. James and Mattie Williams, who are buried there were my great grandparents. The child, Mattie, is also related, I just don't know how.

Shawn Williams
walkswithdeer@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

How can I access Denbo Cemetery? I believe this is private property, and my great-great grandfather is buried there.