Sunday, March 04, 2007

Computer been a bit sluggish lately?



If you have the McAfee antivirus, anti-spyware, and firewall software bundle, my advice is to get ride of it because it's basically junk! I have worked on four different computers for people who have had this software bundle on their PC's, and without exception when I deleted the software from their computers their problems went away.

Symptoms of a McAfee-infected computer will include sluggishness, not being able to access certain (and usually harmless) web sites, and undoing changes the owners have made to their own computers. The McAfee bundle is truly totalitarian in nature and Dell seems quite content to bundle it with their machines for some reason, as the machines I worked on were all Dell's.

The alternatives?

Here is a list of freeware (which I also use) that will do the job of protecting your computer just fine, and without cost to you.

1) Ad-Aware se for getting rid of spyware
2) AVG Antivirus
3) ZoneAlarm Firewall

I've been using these products for some time now and they are worth every penny, even though they won't cost you a dime!

5 comments:

Bar L. said...

THANK YOU! I don't like McAfee but I could not get it off my Dell! Is there a trick to it?

I use the AVG that you mentioned.

Bryan said...

Funny you should mention that. That happened to me the first time a couple of days ago while working on a friend's PC. I was able to delete some of the McAfee software but not all.

I've been meaning to "Google" the problem and see what comes up but haven't had time.

Anonymous said...

I put Norton on my laptop cause I happened to have it on a disc.

BUT...do you th ink just using AVG is enough? I also use this thing called "Clean Up" that is very cool and sounds like a toilet flushing when you get rid of stuff you don't need.

Anonymous said...

I was trying to find your mp3 player and I came across this.

I have heard very bad things about McAfee Home, although McAfee Business Solutions is the best you will find (but certainly not affordable for the average computer owner) I also use Ad-Aware by Lavasoft and Spybot S&D for spyware.

And you can't even start to think of the headache of what Vista is doing. ug....

Bryan said...

Are you a Vista user?