Sunday, October 29, 2006

Victorians

I went for an early-morning walk around the old residential section of my hometown this morning with my camera in hand. The crisp, fall weather was just perfect and I took the opportunity to snap some pics of some old Victorians in town, two of which used to belong to my Grandparents. It's a shame that no one in the family currently owns them. Maybe someday one of us will again.



The one above used to belong to my Grandparents and has now been turned into a very nice Bed & Breakfast. My wife and I have actually stayed here since it was made into a B&B and the current owners have done a fantastic job of renovation. It's called the "Carriage House" because of the little house on the side that used to actually be a carriage house back in the old days, horses, buggies and all. If you're ever in town, it's well worth a stay.

I can remember spending many a Merry Christmas here as youngsters together with our cousins, aunts, uncles and friends of the family. We had a close-knit extended family back then. I miss that.

This is an old Victorian that has also been renovated and is currently for sale. This wasn't a family home of ours and I'm not sure about the history of it, but it's a beautiful, spacious home just looking for a lucky owner. (and no, I'm not a real estate agent)

And this old Victorian was built by my Great Grandfather. A cousin of mine actually owned it for a while after my Grandparents passed away, before he finally sold to someone else. As with the "Carriage House" above, the current owners of this home have done a great job of restoration. When my cousin owned it he also did some restoration. It's a sturdy, well-built home with a garage apartment in back. It used to have a slate roof but that was discarded in favor of regular shingles at some point.

More sights and sounds of my hometown later...

No comments: