Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Letter

Here's a link to a page on my family web site that I recently updated. Today I scanned in a letter that will be 102 years-old next month. It is a family heirloom of sorts that tells the story of how my g,g grandmother (Letitia Keys Denbo) met with her demise back in 1906. It is a heart-wrenching account as told by someone that was very close to her - one of her children.

It was one of those stories that I remembered hearing while I was growing up but I didn't give it much thought then. It wasn't until much later in life when I became interested in my family genealogy that the stories took on new meaning for me. Seeing the photographs and reading the historical accounts of the lives of my ancestors made them more real and interesting to me. It has also been rewarding to me by way of the emails I've received over the years from various researchers from around the world who have been better able to connect the dots in their own family lines because of the material I've posted online. I've even met some relatives I never knew I had.

Soon I'm going to post a Civil War letter written in 1864 by a distant relative of mine while in a Union P.O.W camp. It is quite intriguing.

No comments: